IOWA CITY, Iowa – Palmer amaranth, a new weed to Iowa and a serious threat to production agriculture, has now been discovered in at least 48 counties. Farmers, farmer advisers and others interested in learning how to identify and manage this new threat may attend a “Keep Palmer Amaranth off Your Farm” workshop at several eastern Iowa locations, according to Meaghan Anderson, field agronomist with Iowa State University Extension and Outreach.
“With Palmer amaranth discoveries quickly increasing across the state, proper identification is key to controlling infestations and preventing movement to crop fields,” Anderson said. “With early identification, eradication of this problem weed is still possible in many areas.”
According to Anderson, farmers and scouts should be observing high-risk areas for Palmer amaranth. These include areas with significant equipment movement, suspicious-looking waterhemp infestations, newly-seeded conservation plantings and areas near animal agriculture operations.
Workshop topics will include Palmer amaranth identification, management in crop and CRP areas, and a discussion of common questions and concerns regarding Palmer amaranth.
There is no cost to attend. However, those interested in attending a workshop should pre-register by contacting the ISU Extension and Outreach county office at the phone numbers below. Two-hour workshops will be held at the following locations:
- Feb. 27, 11:30 a.m., with a light meal; ISU Extension and Outreach Jones County Office, 800 N Maple St. #2, Monticello. Pre-register by calling 319-465-3224.
- March 1, 6:30 p.m., with refreshments, Heartland Acres Agribition Center, 2600 Swan Lake Blvd., Independence. Pre-register by calling 319-334-7161.
- March 2, 6:30 p.m., with a light meal, ISU Extension and Outreach Washington County Office, 2223 250th St., Washington. Pre-register by calling 319-653-4811.
- March 20, 6 p.m., with a light meal; Traer Public Library, 531 2nd St., Traer. Pre-register by calling 641-484-2703.
- March 21, 6:00 p.m., with a light meal; ISU Extension and Outreach Iowa County Office, 223 West Welsh St., Williamsburg. Pre-register by calling 319-668-1052.
- March 30, 6:30 p.m., with refreshments; ISu Extension and Outreach Johnson County Office, 3109 Old Highway 218 S., Iowa City. Pre-register by calling 319-337-2145.
The workshop qualifies for Certified Crop Advisor credits. Credits have been applied for. Sign-up sheets will be available on the day of the workshop.
For further information, please contact Meaghan Anderson at 319-337-2145 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
(photo courtesy of ISU Extension)