Linn County has postponed their decision about the Coggon Solar Project.
On Tuesday night, the County met to hold its third hearing about the Coggon Solar LLC rezoning application at the Linn County fairgrounds in Central City. But they voted to postpone their third consideration and final vote on the rezoning until next week.
The solar project includes building a large solar farm on more than 600 acres of private land near Coggon.
The County is expected to make a decision next Monday night, meeting at 6 pm again at the Linn County fairgrounds. The public can attend in-person or virtually. To register to attend virtually, go to https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1787927273548822288. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.
Linn County requires any solar developer to meet specific requirements and submit documents detailing and minimizing any impacts associated with the project. Specific requirements for solar projects include:
- Glare Minimization: All panels must be constructed to minimize glare or reflection onto adjacent properties.
- Screening: A landscape buffer may be required if deemed necessary by the Board of Supervisors.
- Fencing: A security fence must be installed along all exterior sides of the solar project per federal law.
- Setbacks: All structures (including solar arrays) must meet the minimum principal setback for the zoning district the project is located in.
Linn County also requires solar developers to submit the following documents with their rezoning application:
- Road Condition Survey: The applicant will be required to conduct a preconstruction survey detailing the condition of the roads that will be used during the course of the project. The applicant will be responsible for on-going road maintenance and dust control measures during construction. Additionally, the applicant will be responsible for repair of any damage to public drainage systems.
- Operation and Maintenance Plan: The applicant will be required to submit a plan for the operation and maintenance of the solar installation, which shall include measures for maintaining safe access to the installation, storm water and erosion controls, as well as general procedures for operation and maintenance of the installation.
- Decommissioning and Site Reclamation Plan: The applicant will be required to submit a plan detailing how the solar arrays will be removed and recycled, as well as how they will restore the site to pre-project conditions.
You can find more information about the project, along with videos of prior hearings, on LinnCountyIowa.gov.