Two Injured in Home Explosion Near Cascade

Two people were hurt in a home explosion in rural Dubuque County Tuesday afternoon.

Just after 3 pm, the Dubuque County Sheriff’s Office received a report of a possible explosion and fire at 23887 North Cascade Road northeast of Cascade.

Firefighters believe the explosion occurred due to a gasoline leak from a 1965 Ford Mustang in the garage. The car had already been taken out of the garage, but lingering fumes apparently entered the basement of the home where they were likely ignited by a pilot light.

Two people inside the home were injured in the incident. They were taken to a hospital in Dubuque with what authorities believe were non-life-threatening injuries.

The home sustained significant damage due to the fire, with officials estimating it to be in excess of $250,000.