DUBUQUE, Iowa – The upcoming virtual Driftless Region Beef Conference will host speaker Dr. Brenda Boetel. Dr. Boetel is the University of Wisconsin-River Falls Professor and Department Chair of Agricultural Economics and UW Madison Division of Extension Agricultural Marketing Specialist. Iowa State University Extension beef specialist Denise Schwab said Boetel will give viewers an insight on current market trends and the 2021 agricultural market outlook.
“The market outlook provides producers with market insight to make best management practices, and as 2020 markets have shown, it can be challenging to anticipate what future markets may have in store,” Schwab said. “The market outlook allows producers to prepare by having a better understanding of what the markets may have to offer and when may be the best time to buy or sell, as well as by considering different risk management options for alternative price scenarios.”
The conference will have two presenters each evening of Jan. 26-28. All three sessions will run from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Other speakers, their affiliations and topics are:
- Shawn Darcy, National Cattlemen’s Beef Association, What Consumers Say They Need and Want
- Dr. Frank Mitloehner, UC-Davis, Greenhouse Gas, Sustainability and Beef Cattle Production
- Dr. Kevin Bernhardt, UW Madison Division of Extension, Building Farm Resiliency for Surviving Volatile Times
- Dr. Paul Plummer, Iowa State University, Antibiotic Resistance in the Beef Industry
- Dr. Danelle Bickett-Weddle, Iowa State University, Being Prepared for a Beef Cattle Pandemic/Secure Beef (both cow-calf and feedlot.)
Registration and more information on topics and speakers is available at www.aep.iastate.edu/beef/. Preregistration is required. Don’t miss this opportunity to register to hear these great speakers at the reduced registration fee of just $15 this year.
Driftless Region Beef Conference sponsors are ISU Extension and Outreach, University of Illinois Extension and University of Wisconsin-Madison Division of Extension. For more information or to receive a brochure, contact Schwab at 319-472-4739.